There’s something about biting into a piece of carrot cake — it brings back memories of family holidays and springtime. It’s no wonder carrot cake has become a traditional American dessert. Most carrot cake recipes, however, call for not-so-healthy ingredients that should really be avoided by you and your loved ones.Nowadays, the carrot cake recipes are obviously much easier, but Europeans clearly didn’t mind spending the time making one of their favorite cakes, and carrots served as a cheaper sugar substitute.
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups maple sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cream cheese frosting recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
- Grease a medium spring-form pan.
- Add the carrot cake mixture to the pan and bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden.
- Allow cake to cool then top cake with cream cheese frosting.